Saturday, February 19, 2022

Authority 24

 I’m like most Americans in that I like to think I’m self sufficient and independent; that I do not anyone in authority over me. If I want to do something, I save up and do it. I have my rights and I want them protected. But the world’s standards do not represent God’s Kingdom. I’d like to think my intentions are always goid and noble but my sin nature manipulates my intentions for selfish gain. 

“I came to see that I was wired for awe, that awe of something sits at the bottom of everything I say and do. But I wasn’t just wired for awe. I was wired for awe of God. No other awe satisfies the soul. No other awe can give my heart the peace, rest, and security that it seeks. I came to see that I needed to trace awe of God down to the most mundane of human decisions and activities.” - Paul David Tripp, Awe: Why It Matters for Everything We Think, Say, and Do

“Our corrupt heart guides us to use our reason and sense observation for weaving webs of half-truths, distorted truths, and untruths. So we do not start with ignorance and come to truth, but begin with truth and, as Calvin put it, “deliberately befuddle ourselves.” Excerpt From Recovering Our Sanity Michael Horton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...