Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Hope 2/2

Isaiah 40 teaches that it’s very possible to be in the middle of difficulties but we have an ultimate hope in our God who is the Eternal Creator of ‘the ends of the earth’. We definitely need an eternal perspective on most any issue, helping us place our hope in the One who truly loves us far more than we know. Isaiah 40 is a reminder that I need to repeat over and over because of my wandering mind and how I fall for the worries of our earthly existence. We have a better hope that compares to nothing else.

“Here is the sweet paradox in how God works. He blesses those who admit that they need help: The poor in spirit are blessed (Matthew 5: 3). Sanity has a deep awareness, I need help. I can’t do life right on my own. Someone outside me must intervene. The sanity of honest humility finds mercy, life, peace, and strength. By contrast, saying we don’t need help keeps us stuck on that hamster wheel of making excuses and blaming others. The end result isn’t life and peace; it’s self-righteousness, self-justification, alienation, and bitterness.” - David A. Powlison, Good and Angry: Redeeming Anger, Irritation, Complaining, and Bitterness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncertainty 12

 What are you longing for, more than other things?  For me, the list is long and changes, depending on what is happening at the time. In a c...