Friday, April 28, 2023

Grace in the gray 4

 Luke 6:22-23 has some hard teaching!

[22] “Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! [23] Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

It’s not easy to do what is right or what is good for the person who has offended us. I took the first step in forgiveness with a family who was so difficult to work with at school. At a funeral this morning, the usher sat us in front of that family. I sighed, “Just great”, but immediately recognized this as an opportunity to be civil. I was tempted to stiff them by ignoring them totally, but I recognized them and said hello. I know this may sound trivial, but my small step made me feel much better, giving me confidence to go another step the next time. I’m sure God will give me many more times to practice civility, without expecting the other party to so much at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...