Friday, April 28, 2023

Who I am 10

 I grew up with the idea that it was extremely important to be concerned about what people think. Shoveling someone’s snowy sidewalk, helping a neighbor with their chores or any good deed was not out of a desire to help but to be known as a helping person. What would the neighbors think if I didn’t help out?  I hope I haven’t dumped these bad motivators on my kids. Feeling guilty for what I haven’t done or that I haven’t done enough is a weight on our backs that is unnessary. I’m learning what people think is not nearly important as what God is doing in my heart. Guilt and shame as motivators do not change a person’s heart. I can easily become my own prison warden, making sure I do not break free of my cell walls. The closer I lean in on what Jesus is doing is the jail break I need. 

Bob Goff says: “ The people I enjoy the most aren’t looking to me for validation; they have already arrived there for themselves knowing they are not perfect but that God loves them anyway. They recognize that life is trying to put them in a prison cell of head fakes and faulty expectations. It’s refreshing to be around them, and if this is the kind of person you are becoming, lay out the red carpet and invite these people into your life.”

“By your words I can see where I’m going; they throw a beam of light on my dark path. I’ve committed myself and I’ll never turn back from living by your righteous order. Everything’s falling apart on me, God; put me together again with your Word. Adorn me with your finest sayings, God; teach me your holy rules. My life is as close as my own hands, but I don’t forget what you have revealed. The wicked do their best to throw me off track, but I don’t swerve an inch from your course. I inherited your book on living; it’s mine forever— what a gift! And how happy it makes me! I concentrate on doing exactly what you say— I always have and always will.”

‭‭Psalm‬ ‭119‬:‭105‬-‭112‬ ‭MSG‬‬

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...