Friday, January 19, 2024

Perseverance - Curt Thompson

 Curt Thompson the deepest place

The trouble for

Me is that it seems just plain hard. I’m really not interested   I want the reward that perseverance allegedly promises. I just don’t want to persevere in order to receive it. To persevere requires hard work. It involves not only changing external behaviors that give short term coping strategies but also retelling the stories we have believed and told about ourselves. 

The mindset of “I am in my own” is far more pervasive and destructive than we realize, contributing to our suffering in the first place. It stands as a significant principality or power. 

Part of the mindset of feeling alone is believing that I’m unwantable. If I allow people to come close to me, they will inevitably leave. It’s far better to never allow anyone to come to close so that I can protect myself from the experience of being left. 

The more I hide my insecurities and vulnerable side, the more alone I feel. Moses began his adult life with anger, killing the Egyptian. His anger, despite being humble as a strong leader, resurfaces when he struck the rock in anger. His anger may have boiled underneath as an adopted Hebrew. 

Todd Billings writes about lament and how it shakes who we become and the work of perseverance. Liz Hall suggests that lament includes the three part process of complaint, petition and praise, core elements of developing a secure sense of attachment. Lament allows us to sense God acknowledging our deepest places of alienation, deepest places of loss, deepest pain - and to come to realize God’s live deeper than we could expect. Page 123

The lament of perseverance is our commitment to be Wilke g to enter a cycle of grief. Grief names our stories of loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible 187

 Proverbs seems to say there are two kinds of people - those who seek God and those who couldn’t care less. Those who search for Him find wi...