Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Lot’s Wife

 Michael Sprague

I’ll never forget the hot day I was at the Dead Sea in Israel and saw what appeared to be icebergs floating in the water. Huh? I asked the tour guide about them, and he said they were large salt chunks. Then he pointed in the distance and said, “Over there is Sodom and over there is where Lot’s wife was turned into a pillar of salt.” 


I memorized a verse and have been meditating upon it. You might want to memorize it too. “REMEMBER LOT’S WIFE” (Luke 17:32). This one is just a little harder than, “JESUS WEPT” (John 11:35). Because Jesus is the one who told me to “Remember Lot’s Wife”, I thought there was something I needed to recall, ponder and apply. 


My thoughts wandered back to the biblical account of “fire and brimstone” destroying the wicked Sodom and her sister city, Gomorrah. Some describe the appeal of these places. A regional capitol city. Huge, fortified walls and towers. Prosperity. Relative safety. The Arts. Commercial center. Lots of activity. Located in a lush valley. The problem is these things alone can never satisfy and these cities developed a darker and darker underbelly. Without God, you look to other things. Sin compounded. Wickedness flourished.


The land near Sodom was high on Lot’s bucket list for living locations (Gen. 13:10). It was like living in a garden paradise. The problem was Lot’s family went from living near Sodom, to living in Sodom, to having Sodom live in them. God eventually decided to destroy these cities (Gen. 18:16-33). Angels told Lot’s family, “Flee for your lives! Don’t look back.” As the fire and brimstone rained down, Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.” Ouch. Jesus tells me, “REMEMBER LOT’S WIFE.” Why?


1. After Jesus tells me in Luke 17:32 to “Remember Lot’s Wife”, he says in the very next verse, “Whoever seeks to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.” I need to abandon the life the world system offers. I need to keep my eyes on the Lord, His purposes and live on mission. This world will perish. I need to keep one eye on eternity. Being with Jesus and eternal purposes await. There is no sense getting too comfortable on this side. I am just passing through. I must not underestimate the intoxicating power of sin. We are a lot like Lot.


2.This does not mean I cannot enjoy the good gifts God gives on this side. I just need to make sure that the God of the gifts is more important to me than the gifts. I need to make sure that the blessings I have do not have me. I need to be on guard that the money I have or do not have does not define me nor become my identity. Stuff must stay in my hands and not leap into my heart.


3. I want to learn from Abraham. He interceded for Lot and those caught up in Sodom. He stood in the gap. We can do the same. My job is not to have a condemning attitude toward others but pray for others and stretch for them. Truth matters. Grace matters.


Clue phone to Michael today---REMEMBER LOT’S WIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible 280

 Over thinking and over complicating my faith in Christ has been a problem. Either I am not thinking how my faith will apply to a situation,...