Thursday, February 22, 2024

Self Inventory

 Michael Sprague

I was asked today to pause and do a little inventory of my soul. Jesus said to the disciples, “For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?”


How is my soul today? Parched? A lot of cobwebs and dust where fresh sprouts used to grow? Immersed in God and like swimming in deep water? Living out of people-pleasing, insecurity or the desire to feel needed? These are good questions for reflection. 


It is easy to be a human doing rather than a human being. It is easy to let the work of God through me overwhelm the work of God in me.  It’s good to pay attention to my interior world because out of the heart flows the rivers of life (Proverbs 4:23).


I was asked to think of a few verses that speak to my soul. A couple quickly came to mind.


1. John 15:5- I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing.


My favorite verse. I need to keep connected to the SOURCE of life. There are a lot of good RESOURCES but one SOURCE- Jesus the vine. I don’t want the Holy Spirit whispering to me today, “Michael, what part of NOTHING don’t you understand?”


2. Psalm 1:2-3- But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.                                    


What an invitation to receive from the Living Water and allow His life to flow into mine. It is good to pause, reflect and meditate. 


Now I think I’m ready to tackle the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible 187

 Proverbs seems to say there are two kinds of people - those who seek God and those who couldn’t care less. Those who search for Him find wi...