Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Olympic Aghletes

 Michael Sprague


Christ-following U.S. Olympians in the 2024 Paris Games


Olympian Katie Ledecky: ‘Praying Gives Me Peace Knowing I’m in Good Hands’


Over 10,000 athletes from 206 countries will be competing for 5,000 medals at the Paris Olympics. The 2024 games will cost about $8 billion.


Team USA swimmer Katie Ledecky, a seven-time Gold Medal (plus three silver) will be going up against the world’s best for the fourth time in twelve years. 


Focus on the Family reports, “Asked what drew her to the pool, she said it was her mom’s example and the fun she had swimming with her brother. Katie loves the rhythm and routine of training, swimming 37 miles a week – or 1900 miles a year.”


“Reserved and humble, Katie Ledecky jokes TMZ considers her a boring subject. She doesn’t drink, smoke or go to many parties. Outside of swimming, her social life revolves around going to church, hanging out with friends over meals and watercolor painting.”


Katie says, “More than anything, praying just helps me to concentrate and let go of things that don’t matter in that moment. It gives me peace knowing I’m in good hands.”


Go Katie Go! We will be rooting for you in Paris.


I also took note of a comment by Brad East, “The opening ceremonies of the Olympics are extravagant celebrations of national glories and global unity. But if you watch past this week’s opener to the Games themselves, you’ll notice an unusual pattern: Athletes are always talking about God. If you caught last month’s Olympic trials, you’ll have noticed the same thing. Athletes of every kind continuously gave God the credit, often in explicitly Christian terms. It was almost like a competition within the competition to see who could outdo the others in redirecting praise heavenward.”


May God be glorified through many dedicated athletes in Paris who sense the pleasure of God when they use their gifts for His honor.


My friends, we live in tumultuous days. Sin abounds but grace abounds all the more. Darkness is real but light pierces the darkness. I like to remember that just as the SUN melts butter and hardens clay… so the SON melts hearts or hardens hearts. It’s the way it works.


Please be aware that thousands of Jesus followers have been called to Paris to share the person of Jesus Christ with visitors from around the world. My friend, Louisiana Pastor, Tom Harrison and his team fly to France this week to share the Gospel. Please pray. In addition, many athletes steward their gifts for the glory of God. Here is a sampling….


Scottie Scheffler, golf

The world’s No. 1-ranked doesn’t find his worth in his game. “The reason why I play golf is I’m trying to glorify God and all that He’s done in my life. So for me, my identity isn’t a golf score.”


Maggie Malone Hardin, track and field

She’s aiming for a medal in javelin but says, “If that’s God’s plan for me, great. If it’s not, then I accept that, but I feel more prepared than I have in the past.” “Prior in my life, if a [distance] that I threw was not up to my standard, I would crumble. I’ve worked really hard on saying, ‘My identity is not attached to whatever I throw, it is found in Christ.'”


Kennedy Blades, wrestling

20-year-old Blades, who competes in the 76kg weight class. She told NBC, “I’m going to be honest, I’ve just gotten super close to Jesus. I just want to tell you guys that He’s King, and He’s coming soon. So I really believe if you guys put your heart into Jesus Christ, you guys will experience nothing but happiness and grace. He’ll help you through trials and tribulations. It’s Him, that’s the main reason why I was able to accomplish such a big thing.”


Aaron Brooks, wrestling

He told NBC, “Praise the Lord. Like I say many times, it’s a journey with Him. Just put my faith in Him. Praise the Lord.” When asked about his advice to kids, “I’d say seek the Lord. He will guide your steps. Praise the Lord. Have faith in Him. That’s the best advice I can give them because it changed my life.”


Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, track and field

“It’s the truth in a sport where you’re literally chasing gold all the time — I would take my love for Christ and that relationship over a gold medal any day,” 


Kelly Cheng, beach volleyball

“Saved by grace” on her Instagram bio and she explained to Sports Spectrum what that phrase means to her. “It’s crazy to me that an all-knowing, all-powerful God would humble Himself and come down to earth as a human and sacrifice Himself for me. He would go through all of that torture and torment so I can live eternity with Him. Honestly, it’s a reminder to me that I’m worthy and worth it.”


Kyle Snyder, wrestling

Having already won a gold metal 8 years ago he said, “As big as the sport is in my life, wrestling doesn’t define me. God alone defines me.”


I will share another batch of names of Jesus followers tomorrow.


SIX MORE Christ-following U.S. Olympians to pray for at the 2024 Paris Games… A CONTINUATION OF YESTERDAY’S POST


We live in days when some people and leaders call evil good and call good evil. It shouldn’t surprise us but it often does. I find that during these dark times God often does some shaking and even exposing. His gift of hope and grace come along side His authority. During times of upheaval and change, I find it helpful to remember when everything else changes, God doesn’t. Try listing what doesn’t change. God’s sovereignty. God knows my name. His promise are true. Heaven is a heartbeat away. Graves are temporary housing. God is faithful. He works ALL things for good. No one living is beyond the grace of God. He wants none to perish.


Thousands are sharing Jesus this week in France. Pray for them and the witness of these Jesus-follower athletes.


Vashti Cunningham, track and field

The daughter of former NFL QB Randall Cunningham, Vashti is a high jumper. She says Jesus is the “Savior of my life” on Instagram.  She posted, “Getting ready for Paris, leaving all worries, doubt, anxiety, stress and pressure in God’s hands. When you see me you see His power. I can’t do any of it without His help and guidance. Thank you all for the love and support. May all glory and honor forever be the Lord’s.”


Coco Gauff, tennis

Coco was the female flag-bearer for the United States at the opening ceremony. The 20-year-old is ranked No. 2 in the world and captured her first career Grand Slam title at the 2023 U.S. Open. Sports Spectrum reported, “After the big win, she kneeled at her chair on the court and said a prayer to God. “I realized God puts you through tribulations and trials, and this makes this moment more sweeter than I could have imagined,”


Mallory Swanson, soccer

In 2016, Mallory was the youngest American to ever play and score in the Olympics. Injuries have slowed her since. Sports Spectrum reports, “Swanson has regained her form as one of the top strikers in the world. “I feel like you always ask ‘why’d, I look back at it now and I know exactly why it happened — because my faith in Him has grown immensely. Me getting injured and me missing the Olympics and me kind of finding myself on the field again, it really started because I found myself in Christ even more.”


Anna Hall, track and field

The 23-year-old said, “He is my Lord and Savior. Jesus is the reason we’re here and that we’re able to have hope, and that affects all aspects of my life, but definitely sports.”


Brody Malone, gymnastics

He told NBC, “I just have to give all the glory to God. It’s all Him, and, yeah, it’s all God. So I just want to thank Him for this. … I’m just so grateful for everything that God’s done for me.”


Walker Zimmerman, soccer
“My identity is in Christ. It’s not on whether I had a good game or bad games, ‘cuz you’re always fighting for your spot. He loves me for me and not based on my performance — [that] is a free thought to have as a pro athlete.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible 282

 Tests and trials are difficult to understand, and hard to endure. Paul could have been angry and bitter that he was in prison but he used h...