Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Way 4

 Just like the prodigal son, I’m coming to my senses, at least in the last few months. The prodigal wanted life to go his way, to be independent, experiencing life on his own without accountability. Even though I’m not trying to live a life of total selfishness, I like to handle life on my own. But my true longing is to be with my Father, experiencing His presence. I may be like the older brother as well, living with an entitlement mindset, missing the joy of my Father's presence. 

“Powerful forces have a vested interest in our believing the myth (and it is a myth) that we are following no one at all. Many of the cultural liturgies that indoctrinate us daily - "Be true to yourself," - can be traced back to sources with a nefarious agenda. If "they" (whether multinational corporations, politicians, anti-democratic government agents, marketing departments, influencers who just want more followers, etc., etc.) can make us believe that each person is a blank slate, just following the inner compass of our "authentic self" in an upward march to happiness, then they can keep us blind to all the ways we've been "discipled" - formed and manipulated - by their desires.” - John Mark Comer, Practicing the Way


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible 280

 Over thinking and over complicating my faith in Christ has been a problem. Either I am not thinking how my faith will apply to a situation,...