Thursday, January 13, 2022

Rules While Growing Up

 Philip Yancey states “my earliest memories involves fear.”  “I learn that the world has two sets of rules, one for adults and one for children. Children must do what big people tell them, whether it makes sense or not, whether they want to or not. Children must apologize when they’re wrong; adults never do. Like God, adults make all the rules—and according to my playmates, my God-fearing mother has way too many rules.”

For me, two rules stand out  one is to always look like you are working hard  it’s a sin to be thought of as lazy, as a good for nothing bum  I can remember my father saying that in so many different ways   Another rule was to be seen as doing kind things for others, doing your part to make sure that a project is not seen as undone  in other words, it’s more important to worry about what people think than what I think long term results from that conclusion is to be a yes person, a dormat   Another consequence is not to consider what God thinks  Glorifying Him is not a priority if you are more worried about what others think  

Another long term consequence is to always feel guilty because I’m never going to live up to the expectations of others or the standards of common Christian behavior (which must be written somewhere)  


Excerpt From

Where the Light Fell

Philip Yancey

https://books.apple.com/us/book/where-the-light-fell/id1548078431

This material may be protected by copyright.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...