Monday, October 30, 2023

12 Words

 TWELVE TRANSFORMATIVE WORDS FOR TURBULENT TIMES


‘We Don’t Know What to Do, But Our Eyes Are on You.’ 2 Chronicles 20:12


Do you know which high level government leader voiced these words to his constituents? Jehoshaphat. King Jehoshaphat.

Don’t worry— there will not be a spelling bee on this guy’s name at the end of the post. 


Jehoshaphat governed during national trouble and in the shadows of war. In the Situation Room, the Joint Chiefs briefed their Commander-in-Chief and the report was not good. What do you do when your enemies are on your doorstep and it seems you are in a no win situation?


The King was alarmed. Danger was all about. He chose to inquire of the Lord. Prayer was not his last resort but first response. One theologian said, “Take your Bible and take your newspaper and read both. But interpret newspapers from your Bible.” We sometimes get that backwards. We need to filter world and life events through the filter of Scripture so our reality conforms to our theology and not to our circumstances and fears. We may shake upon the Rock but the Rock does not shake under us.


In 2 Chronicles 20, Jehoshaphat declares who God is. He doesn’t just talk to God about his problems, He talks to his problems about his God. God is a promise keeper. A way-maker. All powerful. He can be counted on. In the midst of these declarations, he voices those famous Twelve words, “We Don’t Know What to Do, But Our Eyes Are on You.’ (2 Chronicles 20:12). The Spirit of the Lord encouraged Jehoshaphat and all who lived in Jerusalem, “Do not be afraid or discouraged… the battle is  not yours, but God’s.”


Do you need to say those twelve transformative words today? Go ahead and give it a try … “I Don’t Know What to Do, But my Eyes Are on You.” Politicians at times need to say these words. Pastors too. CEOs. Moms. Dads. Me. You? It’s simply acknowledging, “I can’t. He can!” Humility is not weakness. We stay tethered to God in dependence. There is probably some area of our life today that this is applicable.


In our turbulent times, will you believe? Believe that God is powerful enough to take care of what is going on in your life? Believe that God is loving enough to want to and wise enough to know when and how? Will we trust Him today?


I saw this prayer someone wrote that goes with Jehoshaphat’s prayer, “Dear God, I lift my eyes to You. Please disrupt my false sense of control and my overblown confidence in my own abilities. I humbly bow and ask for your supernatural strength, wisdom and courage so I can endure these days and lead myself and others with faith for the future. My daily prayer will be: I don’t know what to do, but my eyes are on you. Lead me and use me as an agent for your glory. In Jesus name, Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...