Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Gentle 7

 The sentences that jumped out at me remind me how much He loves us. Our sins and goof ups stir a deeper longing for His presence, because He loves us. I used to think that I would never measure up to God’s standards. My guilt and shame only piles higher with my sneaky selfishness attitude. But growing in Him, I’m learning that the hole in my heart is the longing for His presence. It’s not my perfection I’m striving for, but His perfection that demonstrates His love. 

It is one thing, as a child, to be told your father loves you. You believe him. You take him at his word. But it is another thing, unutterably more real, to be swept up in his embrace, to feel the warmth, to hear his beating heart within his chest, to instantly know the protective grip of his arms. It's one thing to hear he loves you; it's another thing to feel his love. This is the glorious work of the Spirit.” - Dane C. Ortlund, Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...