Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Gentle 9

 I can easily get defensive when accused of wrong doing. I can hide from God when I know I’ve wronged Him or another person. I beat myself up, feeling like I don’t measure up to my own expectations let alone His. But His mercies are new for each episode of my foolishness. Today’s mercy does is for today, enabling me to restart, renew and restore. 

And what did he do when he saw the unclean? What was his first impulse when he came across prostitutes and lepers? He moved toward them. Pity flooded his heart, the longing of true compassion. He spent time with them. He touched them. We all can testify to the humaneness of touch. A warm hug does something warm words of greeting alone cannot. Gut there is something deeper in Christ's touch of compassion. He was reversing the Jewish system. When Jesus, the Clean One, touched an unclean sinner, Christ did not become unclean. The sinner became clean. Jesus Christ's earthly ministry was one of giving back to undeserving sinners their humanity” - Dane C. Ortlund, Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...