Thursday, February 15, 2024

Leadership - Jon Tyson

 "I bear on my body the marks of Jesus."

St Paul

"A boss has the title, the leader has the people."
Simon Sinek

To be honest, this has been a hard season for me.
Two more men I deeply respected in ministry have been disgraced and removed from leadership, both for sexual sin. One had a disproportionate and direct impact on my life, the other a man I respected from a distance. One of them because of a predatory grooming and spiritual manipulation I never thought possible. 

This produced an anger I had not felt in a long time. These girls were younger than my own daughter. This has been disillusioning and caused a loss of trust for a generation of young people who were seeking God for a move of his Spirit. It’s just gutting. 

It seems that whether you are a Pentecostal or a Presbyterian, an Anabaptist or an activist, men are falling all around us. This is killing our trust and robbing us of a willingness to lead. I feel this deeply in my own heart. 

I am a leader, who is losing faith in leadership. 

But I have to fight this tendency.

I don’t want to give in to cynicism. 
I don’t want to shrink back.
I don’t want the fear of failure to rob me of my obligation to others.

Leadership at its heart is a sacred trust.

Max De Pree once said that leadership is a "posture of indebtedness." He remarks that followers have a right to ask leaders a very important question.

"What may I expect from you?"

What can people expect of you?

These are the days for us as men to humble ourselves and repent before God with a holy violence. These are days to bring things into the light, to recover the fear of God, and to lead with fear, trembling, and resolve. People have a right to expect character and godliness from men like us.

The people who count on you need to be ableto count on you.

This generation needs a new generation of men to step forward.

Ones who will love and serve.
Ones who pay the price instead of inflicting a price.
Ones who will sacrifice in love, not sacrifice their followers for disordered loves.
Men who don’t run away from the fight or turn their backs when it matters.

I have been reflecting on a powerful scene from the life of Alexander the Great mentioned by Steven Pressfied. It shows the importance of modeling sacrifice and courage to those we lead.

Once, in India, after years on campaign, Alexander’s men threatened to mutiny. They were worn out and wanted to go home. 

Alexander called an assembly. 

When the army had gathered, the young king stepped forth and stripped naked. 

"These scars on my body," Alexander declared, "were got for you, my brothers. Every wound, as you see, is in the front. Let that man stand forth from your ranks who has bled more than I, or endured more than I for your sake. Show him to me, and I will yield to your weariness and go home." 

Not a man came forward. Instead, a great cheer arose from the army. The men begged their king to forgive them for their want of spirit and pleaded with him only to lead them forward. 

Wounded in the front from leading first. 

We need men who model what it is like to be wounded in the front.

Men who lead and don’t retreat.
Men who go forward and don’t turn their backs towards pleasure.
Men who lead by going first, paying the price, and giving it their all.

"When Alexander would go into battle he would wear a double-plumed helmet that could be seen by every man in the army. He led the charge in person and prided himself on being first to strike the enemy."

We need men who will go forward.
Men others can see, not for their celebrity but for their sacrifice.
Men who don’t want to be famous but faithful.
Men whose leadership leads us to become more like Christ.

Paul wrote to the Galatians:
"From now on, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus."

Paul could be trusted because Paul was wounded. His body told the story of his leadership and love. He was marked with the marks of Jesus. 

When Jesus rose from the dead, he retained his scars.
He told Thomas to touch him so he could know it was him. And Jesus’ scars reminded his disciples he was worth following. In John 20:20, we read:

"After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord."

Jesus wanted his disciples to know he could be trusted.
He stripped down and gave his life in suffering love.
We follow Jesus because of his wounds.

Men, you are going to be wounded. You will bear some scars. 
But will they be the scars of sacrifice or the scars of scandal?
The marks of Jesus or the marks of selfishness. 

May God give you grace to be wounded in the front, the wounds of leading others rather than running in fear.

I don’t want the shame of shrinking back. I want scars from moving forward.

Fellas, let’s fight and finish well.

We owe this generation that.

Thanks for reading.

With you, heart and soul.

Jon 

Also, there are still a few spots left for our Forming Men retreats in October. These retreats have been full of moments where we go deep, repent and get free from sin in our lives, and get formed into this kind of leader. Come join a community of men looking to be set apart for God and His purposes on the earth. We’d love to have you. Click here for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible 282

 Tests and trials are difficult to understand, and hard to endure. Paul could have been angry and bitter that he was in prison but he used h...