Thursday, February 1, 2024

Opinions vs Guarding our heart

 Michael Sprague

OPINIONS. OPINIONS. OPINIONS.


We get hours and hours of opinions. Echo chambers abound. Falsehoods spread like wildfire. Voices are endless. Over time opinions morph into our stories and change the very trajectories of our lives. Opinions can come from the enemy, the court of public opinion, our own minds and our inner circles. Since inflows create our outflows, we need to filter out everything that is not consistent with God’s opinion. 


In stressful days, our hearts are often the first things to go. We get careless. Seriously, what are you doing to care for your spiritual heart?


Proverbs 4:23 is a great place to start… “Above all else, guard your heart, because out of the heart come the wellsprings of life.” Realize this is not just a feel-good coffee cup verse, but an urgent necessity… Above all else. Do not let the guarding of your heart slide because the heart is extremely valuable and vulnerable. The word “guard’ paints the picture of a faithful soldier looking for intruders. Heart is the innermost part of our being: thoughts, emotions, wills and devotions.  If you tend and nourish your heart, everything will benefit.


What opinions should we focus on? God’s opinions. His opinions are called truth. Here are a few truths I am meditating upon that I picked up from Louie Giglio:


1. There is sin on my record, but it has been blotted out by Jesus’ blood.

2. No harm has been done to me that cannot be overcome by the love God has for me. 

3. If God says I am, I am. What God says I have, I have.

4. I have an essential assignment from God.

5. I am not the sum of my wins and losses. I am not defined by my best and my worse. I am a beloved son/daughter of the Most High God.

6. God is greater than my circumstances.


God’s opinions count. Let us guard our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncertainty 8

 One quality that most children and teens have in common is a clear sense of what is fair and what is not. Being treated with respect and di...