Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Inside Out 7

 I’ve had a long list of fears that minimized my awe and respect for God. I’ve been afraid that I wasn’t doing enough, wasn’t good enough, wasn’t working enough to provide money, afraid I’d be a poor parent, or I’d goof up in a work project. My fear of not having enough, or being good enough has been huge. But the more I’ve grasped how much my Father lives me, how holy He is, and what length He went through to redeem me, my anxieties are much less. Anticipating His goodness is built in gratitude for Hos goodness. 

“Without a healthy fear of God, we will do what is right in our own eyes, not what God asks us to do. A healthy fear leads us to joyful obedience.”

In addition, without a healthy view of God, I can slide into a hardness of heart that elevates myself to being ruler of my own kingdom. Or, my hardness of heart can lead to demote myself to be unworthy of seeing God for who He is. 

I came to see that I was wired for awe, that awe of something sits at the bottom of everything I say and do. But I wasn’t just wired for awe. I was wired for awe of God. No other awe satisfies the soul. No other awe can give my heart the peace, rest, and security that it seeks. I came to see that I needed to trace awe of God down to the most mundane of human decisions and activities.” - Paul David Tripp, Awe: Why It Matters for Everything We Think, Say, and Do

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...