Monday, June 17, 2024

Pray 7

 Close friends know each other well. Bout our Triune God knows us better than we know ourselves. Surrendering my independence and self sufficient attitude brings Him into my life as a friend closer than a brother. His presence brings a calm assurance that He will NEVER leave me, despite my fickle wandering. His presence brings a boldness of being honest and vulnerable, and a humility that I cannot fix my issues without His help.

…”we cannot truly know God better without coming at the same time to know ourselves better. It also works the other way around. If I am in denial about my own weakness and sin, there will be a concomitant blindness to the greatness and glory of God. There is no greater example of this than Isaiah, who when he was given a vision in the temple of the holiness of God, said immediately in response, “Woe to me! I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty” (Is 6:5). It was because he’d seen the king in a new way that he saw himself in a new way. They must go together. If we are not open to the recognition of our smallness and sinfulness, we will never take in his greatness and holiness.” - Timothy Keller, Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...