Friday, August 12, 2022

Walking in the Word 8/15

 I’ve experienced ‘dabbling’ in God’s Word, with the idea of knowing just enough to get by in my Christian life. I used to think that my private life as a Christian could be separate from my public life. But the idolatry of our cultural distractions show how fake my half hearted devotion to Christ really was. I used to think powers, possessions and prestige were the American dream but I’ve realized that these will be worthless from an eternal perspective. I want to be all in for Him because He is in me. His sacrifice paid for my sin and I want His kingdom to come fully into my heart, glorifying Him as my true King. 

But I am learning to understand that I may never fully understand. I am learning to be a bit more okay with not being okay. Life sometimes hurts, but I’ve discovered that deleting God from the equation doesn’t actually help. It merely removes all meaning and morality from the mess and all real hope from the future. And so I’m sort of stuck with God, even when I don’t understand him. Even when I don’t completely like him. Turns out he is all I’ve got. And maybe this is where hallowing actually begins.
Pete Greig, How to Pray


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...