Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Christmas 12/08

 Mary’s encounter with Gabriel had to be an awe inspiring, intensely personal moment.  Her humble obedient response was either based on her character, or the life changing experience with Gabriel; but perhaps both.  I wonder if I’m ready for God gripping my heart through a divine encounter.  Am I too self absorbed, distancing myself from His communication to me?  Am I like Zacharias?  May God prepare us for what He would like to do in us.


Forgetting the awesome and glorious One who made it all and holds it all together by the sheer power of his magnificent will, will always insert me into the center. This means that no story will be more important to me than my story. I will ask no bigger question than the question of how I am doing. I will have no bigger concern than my satisfaction and comfort. I will ask life to serve me, to submit to my interests, and to deliver whatever I demand. This viewpoint will guarantee me a life of huge disappointment. And not only that, it is also an insane way to live. I am not the center of all things. The world will not do my sovereign bidding. God will not offer his awesome throne to me. Awe of self, worship of self, underlies every form of self-destructive living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 2

 Most everyone is worrying about the next election. To add to anxiety, the world is full of chaos that includes war and economic dependence ...