Friday, April 19, 2024

Inside Out 3

 God knows us completely, inside out. He knows us better than we know ourselves. He understands our past present and future. Why should I pray when He knows me that well. If I were a fatalist, there would be no reason to converse with God other than to complain or accept my fate. But God invites us to talk all things out. Our fervent praying can change change events and outcomes. But more than anything, praying changes us. It changes our character and our worship, making us more in tune with the Kingdom. Praying aligns us with the character of Christ, empowering us to be counter cultural. 

If God is present with you everywhere you go (and he is), and if he is sovereign over every situation, relationship, and location of your life (and he is), then when you blame other people for your circumstances or for the wrongs that you do, you are, in fact, blaming God. You are saying that God didn’t give you what you needed to be what he has called you to be and to do what he has called you to do. You are essentially saying: “My problem isn’t a heart problem; my problem is a poverty of grace problem. If only God had given me _____, I wouldn’t have had to do what I did.” This is the final argument of a self-excusing lifestyle. This argument was first made in the garden of Eden after the rebellion of Adam and Eve. Adam: “The woman you gave me made me do it.” Eve: “The Devil made me do it.” It is the age-old self-defensive lie of a person who doesn’t want to face the ugliness of the sin that still resides in his or her heart.” - Paul David Tripp, New Morning Mercies: A Daily Gospel Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible 280

 Over thinking and over complicating my faith in Christ has been a problem. Either I am not thinking how my faith will apply to a situation,...