Tuesday, August 13, 2024

James 4

 I’m so guilty of thinking I’ve treated others well…until I realize I’ve been condescending and self righteous. I often fail to understand the full story behind what has happened to the one I’ve considered beneath my standard. When I re-read how Jesus gravitated to those who struggle, I wonder what I’m doing by being pulled toward the powerful and prestigious. James is blunt. He cuts through the fake hypocrisy where I find myself. 

“Our hearts are like that. We think we’ve learned about grace, set our idols aside, and reached a place where we’re serving God not for what we’re going to get from him but for who he is. There’s a certain sense in which we spend our entire lives thinking we’ve reached the bottom of our hearts and finding it is a false bottom. Mature Christians are not people who have completely hit the bedrock. I do not believe that is possible in this life. Rather, they are people who know how to keep drilling and are getting closer and closer.” - Timothy J. Keller, Counterfeit Gods


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible 282

 Tests and trials are difficult to understand, and hard to endure. Paul could have been angry and bitter that he was in prison but he used h...