Sunday, October 13, 2024

Jonah 1

 I’m guilty of praying more about my worries and needs than the needs of others. I’m sure God is listening, but do I really have the heart of God in my praying?  We aren’t sure of all that was going on Jonah’s reluctance to follow through on what Gid wanted him to do. The people of  Nineveh were to be feared and most hated them for their brutality. How could God be concerned about ‘those people’?  I wonder what message our Triune God is sending us regarding the people we most fear or despise. What should we say to those who argue and cause division, who would like nothing better than an argument?  How can Jonah’s story motivate you and me to give light in a dark discussion?

“When I’m there, sinking in the muck of despair, no amount of affirmation can pull me up. Until I realize that I belong there, until I see that there isn’t an ounce of love for anyone else in me (at least none that’s being expressed), until I’m broken by my own unworthiness to join a community of perfect love, I will think someone should rescue me.” - Larry Crabb, The Pressure's Off: There's a New Way to Live


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jonah 5

 Did Jonah think he was doing his best prior to God telling him to go to Nineveh?  Was he more committed to living up to the expectations by...